Cycling The Hambleden Brook
The Hambleden Brook is a 4.1 mile chalk stream running from Skirmett to Mill End near Henley on Thames. There's loads of options for scenic walks in the area, but I chose a 14.5 mile circular cycle route also taking in Henley, Lower Assendon and Fawley.
The maps below show a start & end point at the source of the Brook at Skirmett, however I recommend starting in Henley where there are a lot of parking options. From Henley Town Centre:
- Head north-west on the A4120 toward Wallington & Nettlebed. This is a fairly busy road but there's protected cycle path on the left for most of the way.
- Just before the A4120 becomes a dual carriageway, turn right onto the B480 toward Assendons and Stonor, then first left following the Chilterns Cycleway.
- Follow the Chilterns Cycleway north for approx 5k through Fawley to the T-junction at Dudley Lane. Turn right, away from the Cycleway.
- Take first right onto Drovers Lane, following it to Southend, turning right through the village.
- Follow the steep Bridleway down to Dolesden Lane, and follow this right / east toward Fingest.
- At the intersection of Dolesden Lane and Holloway Lane, turn right onto Watery Lane, following this until it meets Fingest Lane.
- The source of the Hambleden Brook is in the field on the right hand side of Watery Lane, just before you reach Fingest Lane. As you turn right onto Fingest Lane, you'll see a dry ditch which follows the course of the Brook.
- Follow Fingest Lane with the Brook on your right, past the Frog at Skirmett a recommended lunch stop.
- Just past the Frog, Fingest Lane crosses a bridge over the Hambleden Brook and the road becomes Skirmett Lane.
- Follow Skirmett Lane towards Hambleden, but turn left onto Colstrope Lane where you'll cross another bridge over the Brook.
- After a short, steep section take a right and continue south toward Hambleden.
- Re-join Skirmett Lane just past Hambleden Village and continue to A4155 at Mill End. Cross this and cut through the houses to Hambleden Marina.
- Here you can walk your bike over the weir to Hamblden Lock, meeting the Thames Path. Follow this all the way back to Henley
The source of the Hambleden Brook at Skirmett: